Issues That Affect LGBT Seniors
There are major health issues affecting LGBT seniors. These can include discrimination from faculty, patients, and a lack of cultural sensitivity. These issues highlight the need for an approach to ensure that LGBT seniors can access the services they need to support healthy aging, including:
- Improved cultural capability in serving LGBT elders throughout the mainstream health care delivery system (including elder-care services, home health attendants, hospitals, mental health providers, nursing homes, hospices, and all other settings in which older adults are likely to seek care)
Laws In Arizona Concerning LGBT People
- Arizona is included in states (32 states and D.C.) extending equal hospital visitation rights to same-sex spouses or partners through marriage equality or statewide relationship recognition.
- The status of parenting laws for LGBT people is unclear. The determination of parenting rights is always made on a case-by-case basis and it is ultimately the decision of the judge whether to grant the adoption petition.
- Arizona prohibits discrimination against public employees based on sexual orientation only. State employees are provided with domestic partner benefits.
- As of 2014, Arizona is included in states (32 states and D.C.) that issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples
Some LGBT Retirement Communities In Arizona
For the longest time, the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender community got little other than closed-minded opinions and complete discrimination. In some places, forward-thinking people are creating LGBT-friendly retirement communities where acceptance and a supportive environment are available to anyone. Communities in Arizona include:
Arizona Active Resort Properties
Tel: 480-396-3233 / 1-800-478-3864
Marigold Creek in Surprise, AZ
Some LGBT 55+ Retirement Communities in America
Outside of Arizona, there are a number of gay and lesbian retirement communities that are open in order to make sure that the LGBT senior population has desirable living options as a senior. These include:
- The Resort on Carefree Boulevard in Florida
- Birds Of A Feather Resort Community in Northern, New Mexico
- GLARP® Desert Resort Retirement Development in Palm Springs, CA
- Carefree Cove in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina
- Stonewall Community in Boston, New York
- Fountaingrove Lodge in Santa Rosa, California
At Kamper, Estrada & Simmons, LLP, we can help you understand which facilities and communities might work best for you.