Guidance for Changing Your Name After a Divorce

Going through a divorce can be a frustrating experience. With emotions running high, it can be difficult to get through the extensive legal process that is necessary to dissolve a marriage. One thing that a woman may be concerned about with a divorce is getting her maiden name back. Many will remember how difficult it was to initially change a name after getting married. However, reverting back to a former name does not have to be as stressful as you might think. If you are looking to reclaim your old name, consider these two ways to do that.

Request the Name Change as Part of the Divorce

In many states, you can actually request your name change as part of a divorce. When drawing up divorce papers with your lawyer, ask for a stipulation that states your name will return to its premarital one. Once you have the divorce finalized, you can use the court order to change your name on identification cards like your driver’s license and Social Security card. You can also use this legal document to change your name with your financial institutions for checking and savings accounts. Many women choose to go this route for getting a name change because it requires fewer steps.

File With the Social Security Administration

If you have been divorced for a while and are looking to change your name, there are ways to have it done after the fact. If your name was not changed during the divorce process, you will need to go through the Social Security Administration. The process is similar to the one that you used to have your maiden name changed to your married name. You will take your divorce record to your local Social Security office and ask for an application for a name change on your card. Once you get your new card in the mail, you can use it to change the name on your other important forms of identification.

While divorce is rarely an easy process, changing your name does not have to be a source of added stress. When you follow these simple tips, you can efficiently and effectively change your name. If you are wanting to get this done as part of your divorce, contact a divorce attorney, such as from Brandy Austin Law Firm, PLLC, to find out what steps you need to take next. He or she can give you guidance on the best way to proceed with this process.


Put 45+ Years of Experience
On Your Side

Contact Us Today
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.