Amusement parks are often seen as a place of fun for family and friends, but not many people know that it is also a place that causes thousands of injuries every year. Injuries at amusement parks happen almost daily, ranging from cuts and bruises to broken bones and head trauma. In the most severe cases, it can even result in death.
People who are injured at an amusement park have many laws protecting them if they get injured. Individuals can file a negligence claim against the park and all of its employees or a product liability claim against the manufacturer of a defective ride. In some cases, you can file both.
Most Common Causes
According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), which has jurisdiction over "mobile" amusement rides, numerous factors contribute to amusement park injuries. Two of the most common causes are:
- Mechanical failure of the ride – the lap bar detaches mid-ride, a roller coaster car separates, or a structural component breaks, etc. This can be caused by a manufacturing defect or the park's failure to maintain the ride.
- Improper operation of the ride – this occurs when the operator stops the ride abruptly.
Possible Precautionary Measures
According to the International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions, there are many preventive measures that amusement parks can take to make the attractions safer for the park goers. A few safety tips for guests include:
- Obey listed height, age, health, and weight restrictions.
- Follow all listed safety rules for rides, and observe every verbal instruction given to you by the ride operators.
- Ensure that legs, arms, hands, and feet are inside the ride.
- Secure all loose articles, including wallets, change, sunglasses, cell phones, and hats.
- Refrain from riding intoxicated.
Contact An Attorney
If you or someone you know has been injured on an amusement park ride, you may be entitled to financial compensation. Dealing with the legal matters of your accident while recovering could hinder your healing process, working with a trusted attorney will fight for your rights while giving you the time you need to rest. Here at Kamper & Estrada, PLLC, we have the experience and knowledge you need on your side to have a successful case. Let us be your voice.
Call us today at (602) 230-1234 or visit us online to schedule a free consultation and review the details of your case.